Responding to a Consumerist Society

When we go to church, how often do we ask ourselves:
* Will they play the music I like this morning?
* Will they be looking after my kids today?
* Gee, I hope I don't have to jump in the kitchen this morning.
* I hope the sermon speaks to me, and that "Johnny Smith" isnt preaching...

Since when is church all about us? I thought of this recently, with the tragic passing of my Aunty at age 51. My family told me they scattered the ashes over the water and read a verse from Corinthians about having new bodies... resurrected bodies. Picturing those ashes swirling in the wind, I thought again about this idea of being 'dead to the world'. The things of this world are irrelevant compared to being a child of God; a follower of Jesus.

So, tell me, when did Jesus preach: Come and follow me and I'll make you comfortable and fill all your wants? Remember what he said, 'lose your life'; forget about it; don't worry about it; its not yours anyway... Give up your own life and follow Jesus.

That's my response and hopefully your response to a consumerist society. It's not about you. It's about Jesus. Jesus will give you life abundantly, I don't dispute that, but life is really about ultimately glorifying God and making God known. Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Questions & Blogs on Faith